Describe in very general terms the as-is business process for registering for classes at your university.
What BPR technique would you use to identify improvements? With whom would you use the BPR technique?
What requirements-gathering technique would help you apply the BPR technique?
List some example improvements that you would expect to find.
First off BPR is the Business Process Reengineering. “BPR means changing the fundamental way in which the organization operates – ‘obliterating’ the current way of doing business and making major changes to take advantage of new ideas and new technology.” (pg 17)
ReplyDeleteIn very general terms the as-is business process for registering for classes at the University of Wyoming consists of look up classes, talking to advisor, receiving PERC Number, waiting for your registration date, putting in CRN Numbers to register into a course and selecting the register button (online). Then you will learn if you were actually put into that course or if you need to change some of your courses because the first course you wanted was full.
What BPR technique would you use to identify improvements? With whom would you use the BPR technique?
Personally, I would want to reengineer the way that students interact with their advisors. Not all advisors are helpful, and with that not everyone explains the actual requirements that need to be fulfilled. Freshman year, students should go through what each semester should look like in order to graduate the University. With this process and document in motion the student will then understand what it is going to take to earn that particular degree. I would use the student and advising office in this BPR technique. Both of these factors need to be working together so there is no miscommunication among anyone about what needs to be done.
What requirements-gathering technique would help you apply the BPR technique?
Learning about what the student likes to do for extra-curriculars would help in deciding what electives to take. I feel that taking an online survey could help the advisors with suggesting courses quicker and more effiently (because I know that I have taken some course the advising office has recommended, and I shouldn’t have taken those courses because it is not the way they described it to be). With an online help tool, with honest questions (such as do you want an easy course or challenging course?), I feel could help students in deciding what electives to take.
List some example improvements that you would expect to find.
I would expect to find, survey to help students decide elective course, I would also like to see a complete layout of each semester (starting Freshman year) so there are no surprises (such as one credit that needs to be completed before graduating creating an uneven amount of credits someones final semester). And finally I would like to see better communication between students and the advising offices in order to successfully decide what a student should be doing in order to graduate with their desired degree.